Sunday, August 2, 2026

My Thoughts and Review on Spiderman: Brand New Day

 On the last day of July 2026, I cannot believe we are this far into the year, I saw one of the many showings at my local Regal Cinemas of Spiderman: Brand New Day. This is my first Marvel movie in the theaters on opening day or weekend since Avengers Endgame. I felt this movie deserved my time and attention by seeing it on opening day. Why you might ask? Because the trailers looked so good. The last movie Spiderman: No Way Home with its writers Chris McKenna and Erik Sommers and director Jon Watts had great vision and presentation of the multiverse and new growth with Spiderman through all the mistakes and failures to then rise up and lead the ensemble of the two other Spidermen and supporting cast to make the ending great but sad. Even with all of that conclusion, I was still excited for another chapter yet to come. The chapter is now. It’s called Spiderman: Brand New Day.

Important note: When this movie begins you first get caught up with what happened after the last movie ended. Why is this important to know? If you have not watched the last movie then I would recommend you to see No Way Home before you see Brand New Day. It will make your viewing experience a lot better in my opinion.

Brand New Day has brought back the same team of writers and new director Destin Daniel Cretton. This was awesome to hear the writers were back when it was announced because they have been carefully crafting the continuation of the stories and launched Spiderman deeper into the comics written by Stan Lee. Since McKenna and Sommers have done the other stories of the Spider-verse with Tom Holland’s Spiderman / Peter Parker, mental continuity and acumen by these gentlemen made me feel it was going to be a great next chapter.  Peter Parker in this movie is a nobody which leads to abandonment, depression and questioning his abilities when new powers morph in his body after Spiderman gets together with the Punisher as shown in the trailers previously released. I really was excited to see if any other Avengers or Marvel members would appear and set up the next movie in the Marvel saga of films. Also previously announced for Phase 6 of films, there will be the highly anticipated two ensemble Marvel Avengers films with the titles of Avengers: Doomsday in December 2026 and Avengers: Secret Wars coming in 2027.

Keeping all of this in the back of my mind, could we be seeing glimpses or tie ins of characters in this movie answered I felt without giving away spoilers? I will say Brand New Day has excellent performances by Tom Holland as Peter Parker / Spiderman showing his genius ability to create technologies to help him and others, just like he did in No Way Home, along with Zendaya as MJ, Jon Bernthal as the Punisher and several other well known and for some the unknown characters that make their appearances throughout the movie. 

Because I am a follower and have read some of the comics in the past dealing with this whole universe, it was great knowing that ties from other comics outside of Spiderman and the New Avengers series helped this reviewer feel happy about how they pulled all of this together using comedic banter, the special effects, the story dialogues and explanations of the past movie issues for the next launch in the Marvel universe with past and future colliding. The writers and director made this chapter of the Spiderman saga my favorite of the movies with Tom Holland starring as the web slinger. How the writers brought in recent past links to the Spiderman movies and how the 5 year blip in the Avengers timeline after Endgame ties in with the characters introduced and reintroduced during the progression of the storylines arc for this third sequel film was satisfying.

As of the time of this review, this movie is believed to be on pace to set new records at the box office this weekend and beyond. If this is true, it will make Brand New Day the highest grossing movie ever for any Marvel production. In my opinion, Tom Holland would become the most successful lead actor of the whole Marvel series even after adjusting for inflation. I hope that Holland will continue being Peter Parker for as long as he can. But I know as a comic book fan, there are variations of Spiderman yet to come.

In closing, What is my rating?  I give it 9 out of 10 stars. Do you need to see this movie in the theaters? Most definitely to get the total immersive experience and to see and hear all of the visual and sound effects in Dolby sound so you can feel it. It was excellent and I felt I was right beside them. Kudos to the whole team for this movie. In my opinion, this is my favorite Spiderman with Tom Holland at the helm because I finally have seen Holland grow up and mature into the character and really think he has made it his own. Let all of the debating begin. Oh and one more thing, if you don’t stay until the end after the credits for the easter egg which all veterans of Marvel movies should know to do already.  I am sure you can find it online already somewhere.

No comments: