Mercy is a film that is set not very far in the future. It is a glimpse into what it would be like if the court system was run by an A.I. judicial program designed to make the defendants that appear before the AI judges to be guilty unless they can prove their innocence in 90 minutes or less. Chris Pratt plays a police detective Chris Raven that was a part of the group helping create this new AI system called Mercy.
As the film opens up, we find Raven strapped to a seat ready for a potential execution if he can not prove his innocence having being charged with the murder of his wife Nicole Raven played by Annabelle Wallis. The A.I. judge is portrayed by Rebecca Ferguson. She has no feelings or emotions but only logical infer and determines all crimes on a fact driven basis.
Chris Raven spends the next 90 minutes using a wide range of sources from his and other cell phone data and videos to whatever is necessary to show the not guilty evidence. Yes, a phone a friend option is used so to speak.
We find out the crime happened on one day, with the trial occurring on the next since there are no humans used for the judiciary and humans defendants. Chris Raven is essentially both his own attorney and defendant at the same time and always on the “stand” until the clock’s ticking completes with a final verdict. Raven’s daughter, Britt, played by Kylie Rogers is an essential part to the story plots and the actress played her well.
The movie’s plot lines are 100% believable and the concept ideas are scary imaginative scenarios that can be a reality in our U.S. court systems one day. At the time of this review there are a lot of discussions about the building of data centers and expansions to the use of A.I. in the near future as a reality. Can we as a humanity really put our heads in the sand and not believe anything like this is possible?
In the movie industry’s past we have had movies like Back to the Future that have discussed life events that have jumped off the screens becoming realities as recently as in the last few years. I realize that movies are fictional accounts and escape from our current reality but we cannot live our lives in fear nor 100% accepted things discussed as facts. We all need to be aware of everything we do and fight for humanity to always stand up and win over computers and technologies. Yes even A.I. as one example.
What do I rate the Mercy movie? I give it an 8 out of a 10 stars. Good stories and plot lines.
There were CGI glitches in a few places throughout but felt the overall movie was good from the beginning to a satisfying and surprising end. I didn’t see the movie’s conclusion coming at all. The way it was written and filmed by the director made this a very well done performance by all cast and crew members. I probably will watch this film again in the future.

No comments:
Post a Comment