On Friday September 18, 2026 was the 40th Anniversary of the introduction of the Transformers universe to be introduced to us humans. The introduction came in the animated movie that first aired on television. The same movie made its big screen debut 40 years later in the theaters on the very day Friday. While I could do a review of that movie, I believe many of you that read my reviews probably would not try to find and watch that first movie. So instead, I am going to give you a review of a movie of the live action Transformers that was made with CGI effects on the big screen on July 3, 2007 starring Shia LaBeouf, Megan Fox, Josh Duhamel, Tyrese Gibson, Jon Voight and John Turturro.
I am not sure where you can find the animated film after Friday since it is a one day celebration in the theaters. The live action Transformers or Transformers 1 and subsequent films can be found on Amazon Prime Video, Paramount+ and Fandango to name a few streaming services. I personally own a few of these movies on Blu Ray.
What can I say about Transformers universe? When I was a kid, I remember the television show and the toys that came out by Hasbro. I used to have a couple of them but they were lost as I have moved many times in my life. The first time I felt they made an indelible mark in many people’s minds was when the first live action Transformers movie came out directed by Michael Bay on July 3, 2007. It is crazy to think that this movie is almost 20 years old and the special effects that were used along with an epic movie soundtrack made the movie stand out.
I remember the first time I watched the original one and when I first heard the beginning of “What I’ve Done” song by Linkin Park at the beginning under the scenes with Sam Witwicky driving around the first time in his Camaro unknowing the importance of the car and the power it held before its unveiling as the famous Bumblebee. This movie had the most famous Autobots and Decepticons. I must confess that I am a Peter Cullen fan and hearing his first words in the movie as Optimus Prime sent goosebumps through my body knowing who it was and the first time on the big screen. Optimus is the leader of the Autobots. Fast forward to Friday while watching it for maybe the fifth time I had those same thoughts and emotions.
When I was a kid, the animated changes from a car, truck to the Autobots or Decepticons, never realized or made as much of an impression for the transformations like in this live action feature film. The special effects for the transforming was very good. I would give it an A- because I have seen some other movies do better but at the time when the movie was released was the best for a movie like it of its genre at that time in my opinion.
Transformers first foray on the big screen is the best of the series of movies that Michael Bay has been involved with to date. The cast of characters and actors were a good ensemble and it made it hard to find all of the bad guys and want to be bad guys. The heroes were the Autobots and Sam Witwicky which is fitting since his grandfather started this archeological exhibition of aliens and tried to fight a Decepticon that he found given the name Iceman. He left all of his clues to his son a unhip wannabe and the grandson that is a pivotal dealer to keep himself out of trouble.
The voice of the Transformers are legends in the voice world and in front of the camera as well. As stated, the leader of them all is Peter Cullen the voice of Optimus Prime. Cullen has been known as Optimus all the way until his unfortunate death last month. He is also known as the voice of Eeyore in the Winnie the Pooh films. Cullen has been doing voice work for 50 years with over 40 of it just for the Transformers projects alone. The voice of the evil Deception leader Megatron for the movie was Hugo Weaving known for acting in front of the camera. The other voices were Mark Ryan as Bumblebee, Robert Foxworth as Ratchet and Jess Harnell as Ironhide and other Transformer characters.
Transformers, the original in 2007, is definitely worth a watch and has a good easy to follow storyline and revelations are timed just right. I think this movie deserves a 9 out 10 stars. I have seen many of the other movies in this universe and feel most of them are deserving a watch at least one time. Congratulations to all those associated with the Transformers universe! R.I.P. Peter Cullen and Autobots roll out.

No comments:
Post a Comment